Monday 4 April 2022

Squeezing those pennies!

 


I track all my expenditure very carefully which is sometimes encouraging and sometimes very definitely not!  The big thing is that I have real figures with which to work so I can see what I have been up to.  Here's my average weekly food spend for the last few years, including groceries and eating out. 


                                       2018                2019            2020            2021

Average weekly           £56.81            £52.92        £47.17          £44.17

In  many ways I am pleased with that.  Year on year I have reduced my food expenditure and I haven't felt deprived.  But I am also very aware that for a single person, it's not exactly brilliant.

I'm seventy now and there are still things I want to do and some of those things cost money.  (No, I'm not ready to be specific on this blog!)  I want to get things under even better control, especially in the face of rapidly rising prices.  I decided at the beginning of the year to aim for £5 per day.  Food is one of life's pleasures for me so I don't want to squeeze that very definite source of pleasure too much.  This year I am allowing myself £5 per day or £35 per week which is a very considerable reduction.  In the first thirteen weeks of this year I have averaged £30.16.  That sounds really good but as yet I am not eating out and the second half the year is always more expensive than the first.  

Let's see how it goes.  

2 comments:

  1. I think you have done splendidly year after year. I am sure that you will be able to squeeze even more out of the food budget to do those things you want.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done really well in reducing spending.

    ReplyDelete