Wednesday 30 March 2022

Doing a few sums

A couple of weeks ago I bought a kilo pack of chicken thighs from Lidl for £1.65.  The thighs actually weighed 1080 grammes so seemed very good value.  But when I came to remove the skin and bones I wasn't very impressed.  Not only was there the thigh bone, there was also part of the backbone of the bird on each thigh.  My kilo pack yielded just 540 grammes flesh.  That means the meat was 3.05 per kilo.

This week I had a home delivery from Sainsbury and again bought a kilo pack of thighs and I got 1004 grammes thighs.  Not quite so good as Lidl.  Again I removed the skin and bones (no backbones this time) and this time got 720 grammes flesh so this time it was £2.57 a kilo.  The thighs were bigger than the Lidl ones (but fewer thighs in the pack) and the absence of the backbone made them easier to bone. 

Obviously my exercise was with just one pack from each shop, but it made me think.  


6 comments:

  1. We still get breast from Lidl, I get a big pack with to 10 pieces, but I trim each one smaller and can get 3 to 4 more portions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's frustrating to not get what you feet your paid for. Hopefully you got some stock from the bones as consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only ever tried Aldi once and couldn't get around the fact that there was non food in the same aisles as food, and we only bought a few odds and ends so never went back.. I too am waiting for the next episode of The Simpler Life, Penny was a pain, she and her girls and she could have lost a few pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand being frustrated not getting what was expected. Doing the math is an excellent idea. Do you save the bones to make bone broth?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do need to do the maths on virtually everything now. The constant price rises, coupled with shrinkflation is so confusing. Well done. I do like thighs as they are just that bit tastier.

    ReplyDelete