Tuesday 29 October 2019

Starting on the goodies

Low budget months sometimes sound a bit dreary but not here at Frugal Follies!  My freezer has lots of lovely stuff in it which I've cooked but not got around to eating.

I started off with a free breakfast.  Last week my friend Sarah gave me a huge tub of yoghurt.  It's my favourite sort (Lidl, Greek) but she doesn't like it so I relieved her of it.  Last month I relieved some friends of the embarrassment of damsons which they had.  I cooked and pureed them (the damsons, not the friends, silly) and froze them in small quantities so I had a portion of yoghurt and a portion of damsons for brekkie.  Very nice. 

Lunch was simple: a chopped salad of celery, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and pepper with sardines.  Tins of sardines are only 34p at Lidl so for a portion of oily fish it's a bargain.  

A friend delivered a salmon (which I paid for last week): a bargain at £10.  I made ten fillets which have gone in the freezer and I made pate with the trimmings.  That went down a treat with oatcakes.

The first few days of a challenge like this are never difficult.  I think the only thing I might get very short of is salad vegetables.  This will take some planning.  

4 comments:

  1. MMmmm, pureed friends and yogurt. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. But the friends were less than enthusiastic.

      Delete
  2. I'd certainly like to freeze some friends in small quantities and only get them out to defrost when I thought it was absolutely necessary.....but then again maybe not. 🤣🤣🤣 I do love pureed fruit with greek yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thetrouble is, they may want to do the same thing.

      Delete