Tuesday 4 January 2022

Habits 2: Serendipity cooking.

 I love serendipity cooking!  Some call it bottom-of-the-fridge, some iffits (if it's there bung it in) but I like serendipity!

I suppose that there are many fridges in which things lurk.  There's a slightly wilting pepper, the last four mushrooms, a couple of sticks of celery or whatever.  Well, apart from the moral aspect of food waste,  "whatever" cost money and I chose to buy it so it's going to get used.  

A check on my fridge revealed that I had carrots, onions, celery, and peppers which wouldn't last much longer.  There was a box of chestnut mushrooms, an aubergine and some roast peppers trying to look as if they weren't there.  There were fours eggs in a box and some garlic eager to be used.



I hadn't any bread or breadcrumbs in either the fridge or the freezer but I had a box of sage and onion stuffing mix in the food cupboard and there were lots of nuts left from Christmas.

So I chopped the celery and onion and sweated them in a little oil with the garlic.  I used the food processor and whizzed the mushroom, aubergine, nuts, peppers, carrots and stuffing mix and then added that to the softened celery and onions.  I added stock and the eggs, mixed the whole lot and put it into a couple of lined loaf tins.  Don't ask for quantities: this is serendipity cooking!

Then an hour at 180C, Gas mark 4, 360F.  Basically it's a nut and mushroom roast.  Even more basically, it tastes jolly good, even if I do say so myself wot shouldn't!

8 comments:

  1. Sound nice to use stuffing instead of breadcrumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job and I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bet the stuffing mix gave your loaves a real boost. Good for you on using up what could have gone bad in your fridge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks exceedingly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post. I often have bendy veg at the bottom of the fridge, always have breadcrumbs and crusts in the freezer and several other useful things like eggs lying around. What a marvellous idea for using it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I think that would be delicious! My go to with the wilting veg is usually soup but I see this is an excellent option. I even have the stuffing mix to add in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. That sounds really tasty and what a great use of 'fridge ends'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Better to eat it than waste what you have bought.

    ReplyDelete