Wednesday 5 October 2022

How? (part one)

 How have I cut my food bill?  


To be honest, although I have my grocery books (listing everything I buy) going back over five years, I am surprised at how much I have managed to reduce my expenditure.  I could afford to spend more on food but there are other things I want to do which will cost money!

There are some economies I can identify.

1.  I have reduced my meat and fish consumption.  I haven't gone vegetarian (I like fish and meat A LOT!) but I have changed the things I buy.  For example one of my oily fish portions was usually a salmon steak or smoked mackerel: now it's more likely to be a tin of sardines.  I've also reduced my portion sizes.

2.  I keep a very careful eye on my stores.  The fridge is checked daily to see what ought to be eaten  that day.  I have inventories of the contents of my freezer and tin stores.  

3. I shop only once a week with few top ups.  I find it hard to go to a supermarket and come out with just the loaf of bread or pint of milk I went it for.  Somehow other "essentials" would find their way into my basket so I just don't go in.  

(I'll be listing more cuts in my next post)

2 comments:

  1. Tommy went into the store for bread and asked if he should get ice cream! NO! We don't need ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it hard to go in with a short list, so I have been shopping once every two weeks at the grocery and the other weeks is a shop for things I need to get at Walmart (over the counter drugs, paper products). I find I don't add things to the cart this way.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete