Saturday 27 November 2021

No waste!

Although my stated aim of doing this challenge is to keep food expenditure low for a few weeks, the real need is to minimise food waste.  I think we've all become more aware of this issue over the past few years.  Awareness of the need to respect the planet has been added to our consciousness of hungry people in our own country and abroad.   Rising prices are driving the message home even in households with a "comfortable" income.

The soup which I made yesterday from the lurking calabrese is lovely.  I just sweated some onion in rapeseed oil, then added the calabrese and sweated that, added stock, partly vegetable and partly made from the chicken skin and bones from yesterday, then blitzed the lot.  It is delicious.  Today I had it with some of the bacon lardons which I cooked yesterday but the remaining soup portions will be served with either cheese or yoghurt.  Just the job on a cold November day.  



6 comments:

  1. That soup sounds delicious although I am going to have to google lardons as I haven't heard of those before. Although anything bacon related adds excellent flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lardons are just tiny pieces of bacon, cooked and added to a dish to add flavour. You can buy them ready cut, which is expensive (around £9 per kilo) or buy a pack of bacon bits (cooking bacon) and cut them up yourself. I'm mean so I chose the latter.

      Delete
  2. We have homemade soup everyday, and love it, we often pop in bottom of the fridge stuff to use it up and not waste it. Leek and potato at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup is The Best especially on a restricted budget.

      Delete
  3. "Lurking Calabrese Soup" definitely ought to be in some fancy chef's repertoire. I've been buying packs of cooking bacon from Lidl recently - excellent value, and decent quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be next to "Eat your heart out, Delia, soup" in the recipe book.

      Delete