Monday 3 May 2021

Moocing again

 It's a long time since I wrote about MOOCs so maybe I'd better say what MOOCs are.  Massive Open Online Courses.  

Moocs are another frugal hobby.  Just log on to Futurelearn  or Coursera and you'll find free on line courses on hundreds of subjects.  I've done courses on everything from the anatomy of the abdomen to money management.  And not a penny has left my purse in the pursuit of learning.

This week I have started a course "From waste to value: how to tackle food waste".  It looks at food loss and food waste (and explains the difference between the two) and gives information to help ordinary consumers like you and me to reduce our food waste.  I've been encouraged to set up a food waste diary and an action plan.  Over the next three weeks I shall be keeping an even closer than usual eye on the food which I buy and use.  

It's also giving me information on food waste throughout the supply chain and how the food industry is trying to find new ways to use it's own waste products.  So far that has been the biggest eye opener for me.   I've been a tad judgemental (sometimes with justification) but for me this is new information.  




9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information on the courses. They sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interesting. And there is a huge variety.

      Delete
  2. One fact that amazed me when I heard it on television recently was one third of all food produced ends up as waste. And if this isn't disposed of as food waste and ends up in land fill it causes global warming. The caddies some councils provide prevents this, so simple and so effective plus the waste is turned into electricity from the methane it produces. My council provides a caddy but many don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is similar here in New Zealand with high wastage rates. That's what I like about my vegetable garden - I grow what I eat. I'm ever vigilant though and learn so much from the world of kind bloggers.

      Delete
    2. I grow what I can but it's not a lot. Like FiE I was really shocked at the amount of food wasted globally. I just wasn't aware of the extent of food waste or of the imaginative ways being found to reduce it.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you here FiE! Missing your blog. I wish our council provided those caddies. The food waste and food loss trail is far more complicated than I had thought but I am even more determined to do my bit as far as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for mentioning this course as it sounds very interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The course sounds very interesting and I have bookmarked it. I will see if I can take it here in Canada.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds a brilliant course!

    ReplyDelete