Thursday 4 April 2019

Qwirkle and coffee

It was a lovely morning out.  We played Quirkle - and just in case you've never Quirkled this picture is a completed game .  It's a good game, easy to learn, demanding a little concentration but not so much that you can't chat while playing.

Quirkle and coffee
My friend Sarah and I enjoyed a couple of games at her house on Tuesday.  We also enjoyed a pot of coffee (or three), some soup which Sarah had made, and some hummus and crudites which I had made.  We could have played Bananagrams or Rummikub or Triominoes or quite a few other games which we have each acquired over the years but Tuesday we played Quirkle.  Two games.  We each won one.

I think one of the most important aspects of a thrifty lifestyle is having friends who share your values.  Sarah and I exchange homemade gifts for Christmas and birthdays and we have (without any discussion) scaled down our gifts as we have got older and our incomes have got smaller.  We go out for occasional meals but we are happy with far less than we used to have.

It is difficult to be frugal if your friends want always to be out splashing the cash, if Christmas is about swapping huge gifts (or bragging about how much was spent on the children/grandchildren).  It's tricky if your common interest is an expensive hobby or a liking for overpriced fine dining.  

Frugality is much easier when it is shared with friends.




5 comments:

  1. Never heard of Quirkle. Does Sarah use a Quooker to make the tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about being frugal. Your afternoon sounds perfect. I am going to look for that game -- we like to play games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely day.

    Most of my friends and family are not frugal at all and have a bit of a problem understanding my frugal ways.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Quirkle & Coffee! What a wonderful way to spend the morning! Thankfully .. all my people are working on frugal living with me! .. not that we are succeeding .. but we have hopes. 😊

    ReplyDelete