Monday 25 September 2017

It's been a while

Just over a week to be exact, but I'm still sticking to my challenge.

The Savoy is no more!  I had a Savoy cabbage at the beginning of the month but I've wasted none of it.  It went down the hatch as part of a pasta dish, as the wrapping in stuffed cabbage, and in some bubble and squeak all of which I reported but since then the remainder has been split between a salad and steamed veg so just the stalk got binned.

The lentils have been more problematic.  At the beginning of the month I made a lentil based salad and I've used a few in soups but I've come to a decision.  I don't like lentils.  It's not so much that I don't like the flavour but I don't like the texture.  I'm not sure why really.  I put a few in a shepherd's pie but regretted it.  I've got about 200 grammes left but don't know what I shall do with them.  They're OK for the present.  Maybe I shall make some soup but I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Food purchasing has been minimal.  I've bought
 Coffee              £10.44
Apples              £1.80
Potatoes            £1
Dried apricots   £5.50
Bread               £1.10
Ham                £2.80

(The ham and bread were for sandwiches for a bring-and-share supper.)

So I've spent £22.64 leaving £7.36 for the next five days.  Do-able.

However, I have started to think about the gaps in the stores.  There are very few!  Next week I shall have to buy eggs, butter, pasta, fruit and maybe a sliced loaf for sandwiches.  I shall also buy frozen prawns which have been wonderful for adding just a little something to fried rice or pasta or Chinese noodles.




3 comments:

  1. I do admire you, when DH came home from the lottie with huge savoy, I knew we'd never eat it all and we didn't I threw the last of it away! And now without a lottie we have never bought one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The savoy was definitely a Challenge with a capital C. I decided to find at least one new recipe, I acted on suggestions in comments on this blog and in the end I just gritted my teeth. When you live in a household of one a Savoy is a lot of cabbage!

      Delete
  2. Thankyou for following my blog, I have started reading your archives.

    ReplyDelete