Sunday 25 September 2016

Inexpensive kitchen equipment

The first thing I do each morning is to put the kettle on for a coffee.  No day starts without coffee here at Frugal Follies.  I don't drink tea at all so coffee is my go-to drink and each day I drink four or five mugs.  I have my favourite blends and they don't include any instants!

The problem with coffee is two fold.  Firstly it can be messy and secondly it can be expensive. When I use a cafetiere/French press  coffee grounds seem to get everywhere when I wash it.  I know that a machine would cause less mess but machines are expensive and those disposable pods are not exactly environmentally friendly.  I don't want another large gadget on my kitchen worktop either.

So I use a reusable filter.   This handy gadget is stored in a coffee mug in the cupboard and then I use a scoop of coffee in the filter in the mug.  It needs less coffee than a cafetiere and also less water.  It has handles to allow it to rest on the edge of the mug.  The grounds are kept in the filter to be tipped into the kitchen bin but nothing else gets thrown away. 

I still like to use cafetieres when I am entertaining.  They are more elegant and because I use them more rarely I enjoy the sense of occasion.  Will I replace my filter when it finally wears out?  You bet I will!

11 comments:

  1. I love those old-fashioned filters; they have a cosiness to them .. I drink very little coffee because it makes my heart go wild (2 cups at most if any) but I drink a lot of tea. I can't start the day without having savoured 2 large mugs of it. I actually wake up earlier in the morning to be able to go back to bed and linger over them !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We drink fresh coffee here, and will buy in bulk when on offer, hubby also buys off internet for better prices. We use a filter, but I try not to have more than 3 or 4 cups per day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often buy from the internet -Amazon sometimes has great deals if I buy six bags of my favourite coffee. Where do you find deals?

      Delete
  3. I love fresh coffee. The cafeterias are tipped onto the garden and rinsed in a bucket which eventually goes on the garden too. No waste and brilliant for the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't drink coffee or tea. I have never made coffee. I don't understand what you do. Your coffee is made with a filter in the cup, boiling water, coffee in the filter, and pour the water over the filter of coffee in the mug/cup? Where do you get one of these filters? I have a friend who drinks coffee, but never here. I could make coffee for him. Do you use instant coffee or the stuff that is ground for a coffeemaker. Sorry to sound so ignorant, but coffee making has never been part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For instant coffee you need just a mug, no filter. Just put a spoonful into the mug, add near boiling water and that’s it! Sugar, milk, or anything else that you fancy just goes in. This filter is for use with roast and ground coffee, suitable for use in a cafetiere/ French press

      I had a look on amazon.com. Searching using “reusable coffee filter” found mostly reusable filters for coffee machines and those didn’t look as though they would rest on the rim of a mug to give the coffee time to brew. I had more luck with “tea infuser” as my search term. Make sure you choose one with very fine mesh and something which will rest on the rim of the mug. They look rather more expensive than mine though but as I’m not sure about shopping in the USA I’m not much use!

      If you would like to e mail me (e mail address on my profile page) I may be able to help further.

      Delete
    2. He won't drink instant. I asked him about the filter you use in a cup. He knew what it was and said it was too messy and he still had to boil water. I may have him bring it to me since he is not using it. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I rarely drink coffee and have cut my tea intake down to almost nothing. My husband is an avid coffee drinker however and uses a melitta filter. When I drink coffee I use an individual french press.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am Amy, your swap partner for the 12 days of Christmas Swap hosted by Jo at Through The Keyhole. You can get in touch with me by replying to this comment as I am not a no reply blogger, or if you go to my blog page click on the about me page - link top right of blog - and you can find my e-mail address there. Hope to hear from you soon, I am looking forward to learning more about you and to swapping with you too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drink more coffee than tea. Breakfast coffee is always strong, black and sweet, it's the only time I drink it without milk, strange what habits we get into! I drink instant, I have a cafetiere but rarely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post seems to be attracting a lot of interest with people who want to advertise their businesses. Comments made with links to the posters business will be deleted.

    ReplyDelete