Monday 5 September 2016

Free Learning

It's a while since I did a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) but I'm starting one today and one next week,  Both are free.  Just go to  https://www.futurelearn.com/.

This week I'm starting a course on Cyber Security, something which concerns anyone using t'interweb.  This one is offered by Newcastle University and it's a three week course exploring practical cyber security including privacy online, payment safety and security at home.  The organisers reckon you will need about three hours a week to complete the course which sounds to me like nine hours very well spent. 

Next week I'm starting another MOOC:  Financing Fundamentals, Managing the Household Balance Sheet.  That's a four week course again needing three hours per week.  It's offered by The Open University

These free courses use videos, quizzes, short articles and interactive games to teach important subjects in an interesting way.  I don't normally do more than one at once but I think these two subjects are so important that I don't want to miss out on either!

Most Futurelean courses are available to students in other countries to but I am aware some aren't and unfortunately I have no means of checking availability outside the UK but why not nip over to https://www.futurelearn.com/ and see what's on offer.

.




 .  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good course to have under your belt. There are so many scammers out there. Shame there isn't one about scam phone calls, I have been plagued with supposed calls from BT asking to fix my ROUTER. However they don't know my name and when I say Miss Piggy they carry on reading from their script. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea. I've never taken any online courses, I'm going to pop over there now and see what they offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will look it over; I am learning Norwegian at the moment and will probably never use it but the sound of the language and the way of life fascinate me. Your own course sounds much more useful though !!x

    ReplyDelete