Monday 2 January 2017

Cheep entertainment


January often starts out as a rather bleugh sort of time here at Frugal Follies.  Somehow Christmas isn't quite over, the weather is a bit grim, and my get-up-and-go has got-up-and-gone.  Planning is quite exciting but action is lacking.  Ho hum.  


I look out of my window and it's not the prettiest of sights.  The glorious lights of Christmas are disappearing and the flowers of spring are still a while away.   It's raining or it's foggy.


But bleugh isn't really an option!  I don't want to feel this way!  I need plans.  I've decided that my first plan is to revive my bird table.  I ran out of wild bird seed a while ago and the bird table has been sadly neglected.  I received some gift tokens for Christmas.  So, I have now bought new bird food, Jack has moved the bird table so I can see it from my window and the birds can be watched again.  


Things are looking up already.

16 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you've had a brilliant idea to brighten up the dreary winter days. I think I need a bird table; although it'd always be covered in squirrels so I'm not so sure it'd accomplish much.

    Aren't birds such a beautifully simple blessing from above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we need to put bird food out as well. We have some hollies that are full of berries and I am surprised the birds haven't taken them yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will your winter get "hard"? That's when the holly takes a hit.

      Delete
  3. I love our bird feeder. We seem to have a large group of Goldfinch who come for the sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my last garden goldfinches were by far the commonest birds. They loved the nyger seeds as well as the sunflowers.

      Delete
  4. I'm waiting for hubby to make a special hook for mine so it fits on a fence post. I made some fat balls from the sausage fat in my grill drip tray mixed with oats and old seed I had. They loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to go. Not just "cheep" food but free food.

      Delete
  5. I hope the clear weather has made it to your part of the UK today. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what you need to cheer you up. We are trying to find little bits of cheerfulness everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Start small and build and the birds will love you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a simple thing to do but one which will give you so much joy. I love watching the birds bickering over their little treats I leave out for them, better than watching any soap opera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing that lifts the soul like watching tiny bad tempered birds darting about. Try as we might though, we rarely get them. Just massive sea gulls mainly round here. Think Morecambe may be putting them off. Also I have been banned from putting out anything that may attract small animals because our mouse is back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. January is such a l o n g month. Is that why February is shorter? Its lovely to see the birds in the garden. We've had a couple of birds that are obviously courting and chasing each other from tree to tree and fence to fence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah well, as the great poet of my county didn't say, In Spring a young bird's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

    ReplyDelete