Thursday 23 November 2023

Christmas puddings

 Oh, how I love them!  I always make my own.  I don't use currants or raisins but I do use dried strawberries, blueberris and cranberries.  My recipe is distinctly unfrugal, especially as I make them for quite a few people.  


But although they are not cheap to make, I love giving them, and in return I get goodies like mince pies, sausage rolls and piccalli. 

Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) suggests a pre-nupp agreement, in other words a pre Christmas No Unnecessary Presents Pact.  In many ways I agree: Christmas present giving can create a sense of obligation which the recipient may find it hard to filfil.  Often presents finish up in the bin or charity shop anyway.  Over the years I have reduced the number of presents I give.

However, my puds won't br gracing the rails of a charity shop because I check that they will be wanted.  I'm very grateful for the food gifts I receive, taking advantage of other people's particular culinary skill.  I give my time and talent and reduce my friends food shopping bill and I enjoy the fruits of their kitchen skills  


4 comments:

  1. We have decided from next year we will make puddings and mince meat, just for ourselves and one daughter, I already make cakes, 3 of them and hubby who is good making pastry makes mince pies and sausage rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the years we have given each other gifts we need (well Harvey and I do). Then I do some handmade gifts for the boys along and give them each a bit of cash.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had a Christmas Pudding.
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah but most of all you give your love all bound and wrapped up in the beauty of food xx

    ReplyDelete