Tuesday 21 November 2023

Amazon

 


I have something of a love/hate relationship with Amazon!

Amazon is very good at what it does.  They supply a huge range of  products at very competitive prices and they have a highly efficient delivery system.

Unfortunately they are also highly efficient at persuading me to buy things which it might be better to buy elsewhere or not at all.  It's all too easy to click on something on their site and know it will be delivered next day.  Amazon Prime makes that even easier with an annual payment for delivery so everything seems even better value.  Occasionally I have even ordered a single bar of chocolate (value around 50p) for the joy of knowing that my order has cost Amazon far more than I have paid.  

I've now decided to be more mindful when I shop at that site with the smiley face.  I've cancelled Prime.  I've installed Icebox so that items go "on ice" for a day instead of directly into my cart.  Icebox also acts as a holding list for small items which I can amalgamate to create an order worth £25 and so get free delivery.  (Be very careful with the free delivery option: you need to check everything with a fine tooth comb.)  

Black Friday is coming up and Amazon has some very good deals but they are only good deals if I really need them.  I've managed to get Sloggi briefs at a good price.  Amazon's own devices are always on offer at this time so I waited until now for my new Echo device and smart doorbell which I have got as a bundled deal.  

My Amazon spend has dropped considerably since I cancelled Prime.  Some things I have managed without, others have gone on my weekly shopping list and been bought locally.  

7 comments:

  1. I have a post ready for tomorrow about Amazon. I am not tempted too much. just other problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trouble is sometimes we can't get what we want locally so are grateful for Amazon. Only yesterday hubby was saying wish we had a book shop near, so I looked one up to see how near or far we'd have to travel, nearest one was 24 miles, not too far but in a busy city centre, so not for us! I'll look up ice box, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I live in a very rural area but having Amazon Prime made it just a bit too easy.

      Delete
  3. We use Amazon Prime, living in a village, even with good buses to town, we can't always get what we need, and with Wilko's gone, it's not going to get any better. When we shop local we often have extra things in our basket, so not always making a saving. We do always try our village shops first, we need to support local.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have Prime, but mostly use it for the streaming services. Love being able to find something to watch when there is nothing on regular television.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete