Saturday 6 June 2015

The Upside of Decluttering

I can't be the only one. .   There must be others out there who do it . . .  Please tell me I'm not alone!

Why this angst?  What's my problem?

Just this.  I read wonderful recipes on other people' blogs, get the ingredients, and that's as far as it goes.  

Last year  Tracing Rainbows had a recipe including orzo, a form of pasta which I'd never heard of so I just had to include a pack on my shopping list.  Since last August it has been grinning at me from the cupboard, mocking me that I had wasted money on it.  But revenge is sweet and last night a bottom-of-the-fridge hunt yielded mushrooms, cooked chicken and onions.  I found some broad beans in the freezer and combined the lot with some home-made chicken stock.

The result was incredibly scrummy.

And I feel a little more virtuous because I've wiped the grin off that packet of orzo 

12 comments:

  1. My daughters friend made an orso risotto like dish with snow peas, asparagus and parmesian a few weeks back. It too was delicious-a nice change from pasta or rice. I've never personally cooked with it but might give it a try-and I'll try to cook before the package mocks me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used some Quarkwhich was hanging around in the fridge (rather than Parmesan) and it was rather risotto-like.

      Delete
  2. Is it the pasta that looks like large grains of rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one. One word of caution - I had thought that being so small it would cook very quickly but it didn't.

      Delete
  3. hmmm....I seem to have that same package in my pantry. Is that where the snickering sound keeps coming from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. The sniggering has reduced slightly in my pantry, there is still quite a loud noise when I open the cupboard door

      Delete
    2. honestly, there are some days when I would like to walk through my house with a large rubbish bag and throw everything away and start all over. When we moved to our current abode we only brought what was necessary and it was so nice for a while and then, over time, things kept creeping in and now I just want to move again and leave a lot behind! Not an idea my husband is up for but that is the urge I get when every single nook and cranny needs a good purge.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you have found an upside to decluttering. If I keep going perhaps I will find one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the food, I love the pretty plate.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same--pretty plate. I write down recipes but don't buy the ingredients. then, I decide to make it and don't have what I need. It's okay, though, because I copy fattening recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love orzo. Glad you finally gave it a go.

    ReplyDelete