Tuesday 7 January 2020

The Thrifty Trail

I am aware that most of my commenters are old hands at stretching every penny until it screams - I read many of their blogs!  However, when I look at my readership statistics I am also aware that the vast majority of people who read my blog do not comment and I think there  may be some who are just beginning on the frugality trail.   Maybe at the beginning of January their numbers are swelled by those who are trying to recover from a Christmas overspend.

I started to live more thriftily when I retired and I took a considerable cut in income.  I hadn't planned on retiring when I did but ill-health forced the decision on me.  I was ill prepared.  Initially my income wasn't enough to live on and I had to dip into my savings big time.    I had more than a few sleepless nights.  My mental health suffered (and caused more over-spending, a particularly vicious circle) but I realised that I had to look at everything I did and see if it was essential, and if so could I do it more cheaply.

It was three years before all my pensions kicked in and my income was adequate but the habits I had learnt stuck and living frugally is now part of who I am.

So, back to starting out on the frugality trail.  At times it has been boring.  I had to make up my mind to have treats only when I had paid for them rather than promising that I would pay for them in the future (by using a credit card).  In the beginning they were few and far between and falling off the thrift wagon would have been disastrous.  

Pinching pennies is more fun when one can afford a few treats.  There are many who cannot afford any treats and for whom set-backs are not just annoying but disastrous. 

7 comments:

  1. I have found by not purchasing so much, ensuring everything is used fully before replacement, when I do purchase something new I really enjoy the whole process, knowing I have not wasted anything. The more you do it, the better the feelings. I have heard it many times, but life is better with less, and all the time I wasted shopping is now spent with my family, not going to town to buy stuff they want to sell to us is so relaxing and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really feel that we can learn new things from each other every day. Living frugally for an extended length of time does not mean that we know all about it. I love getting new ideas (well to me) from all my blogging friends.

    Yep, pretty sure the swell in readership on my blog is new people trying to start a frugal life.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We choose to live a frugal life so that we can enjoy the holidays that we enjoy so much. Whilst we have been frugal for sometime I still think we can learn so much more from each other and indeed stop landfill and the damage we do to the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't define us as thrifty, as we are very lucky to both have a great income. That said, we live in an expensive part of the US, and want to make sure our money matches our priorities. I don't like wasting money, and I also want to be a better steward of the earth. Reducing our consumption helps with both of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was forced into retirement by my health, specifically, my back problems. It was not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the occasional treat is very special. I'm conscious that I come from a frugal family, and we've always watched the pennies- but some of my friends are suddenly finding themselves having to be more careful after a lifetime of spending-without-thinking. Let's be generous and share our skills, and nonjudgemental . And if a treat now and then makes things FEEL better then by all means push the boat out [just a ltitle bit!]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived on my predicted pension for 2 years before actually retiring. It was a great experience and I learnt so much. There isnt a scrap of waste in my house any more and we live on far less meaning I have more money for holidays and other treats.

    ReplyDelete