Wednesday 1 January 2020

Planning for January

I can't say that the idea of a no spend January appeals to me but a low spend month has its attractions.  I rather enjoyed my low spend November for groceries and the freezer now has some rather nice post-Christmas leftovers so I think that may be the way to go.  Goose, Christmas pud, pigs in blankets, roast vegetables - this is hardly going to be a period of self-denial! 

This time I want to do a few experiments.  I cook most of my food from scratch but I tend to play safe and other than "serendipity" soups and casseroles I rarely try a new recipe but this month I want to do ten try-outs either of new dishes or new ways of cooking familiar items.  

My budget this time will be £38 or £1 per day from Christmas to the end of January.  I'm not pretending this is any deprivation but it is a way of focussing my mind.  I shall be watching my food choices to make sure I get a healthy diet.  

5 comments:

  1. I love a good grocery and recipe challenge. I look forward to reading your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are starting the year off well. I am kind of the same when it comes to cooking, but over the last couple of months have been trying a few newer ideas and recipes.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be eating from the freezer, loads of simple dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every now and then I cook a pot of pinto beans in the crockpot. Usually using leftover ham. I put a pot on today but had no ham so I used bacon and the drippings that I sauteed some onion in. Instead of using all water, I added a can of broth to see how that would turn out. I have never used broth in beans before but I am enjoying tweaking some of the old recipes. I look forward to hearing what you do and how you do it. I feel you are a far better cook than I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also looking at a low spend January as I get my finances in order and try to use up items from my very full freezer and pantry. I honestly only need some milk and fruit & veg so I am trying to be very disciplined about things.
    I'm also looking at trying out some new recipes - I follow a low carb diet and it does get a wee bit boring so I'm determined to try out some new recipes to keep me on track.
    All the best for 2020.

    ReplyDelete