Sunday 5 January 2020

The Rewards of Digging

Eating down the freezer sounds so dreary, but it certainly isn't like that here at Frugal Follies!  My freezer has quite a few delights to reward me when I start to dig through its contents.


Whenever I shop in Lidl I have a look through their "reduced for quick sale" items.   Usually they reduce things by 30% which is well worth having, but sometimes items are marked "Waste Not" and they are definitely worth a consideration.


No matter how good a "bargain" food is, there is no point in buying things you don't need.  However, if they can be frozen I often buy them and think about them next time I am wondering what to cook.  This pork fillet was reduced from £2.81 (already a good price) to 90p back in early December.  Today it became Pork and Apricot Casserole.


Pork and apricot casserole
 1 large onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1tbsp cooking oil
300g very lean diced pork
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
Half tsp chilli powder
450ml meat stock or water
250g dried apricots
1 tbsp chicken gravy granules
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
salt and black pepper

Gently fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the pork and spices, continue to cook sealing the meat on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker and add tomatoes, apricots and stock.  
Cover with a lid or pour into a slow cooker and simmer gently for  3 hours on low until the pork is tender. Add the gravy granules and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes, adding more stock if required.


I had it with mashed potato and swede and carrot, both from the freezer.

6 comments:

  1. I am doing similar things with my freezer. I found two boxes, one labelled "lentil ragu" and one "ratatouille" - neither box very big. I thawed both, chopped up the larger veg in the ratatouille - and then combined to make a filling for a lasagne. It proved very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole fridge and freezer need a good clean out, so I wan tot buy minimal groceries this week, but need chicken for DH lunches, milk, buns for veggie and hamburgers, and bananas. Otherwise, it will be freezer guesses for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I cleaned out much of my freezer in November & December, so while there are still a few odds & ends left, it's mostly things we use on a regular basis. And, it's so much emptier & easy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The casserole looks so wonderful and tasty. What a bargain price for the fillet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are always delicious things to be found when eating down the freezer. Your Pork and Apricot casserole looks wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete