Saturday 11 January 2020

2019 financial review

I have taken quite a long time to do a 2019 financial review but here goes!

I am in the fortunate position of having pensions which rise automatically annually so my pension income rose last year and indeed rose above the rate of inflation. Early in the year I was doing quite a lot of fee-paying work.   However, although at the beginning of 2019 I was earning a good amount, by the end of the year my professional earnings had dropped considerably and are unlikely to improve in the foreseeable future.  I've continued to do a lot of on-line surveys but not as many as in 2018 so I must make a little more effort in that direction.  I like to think that part of my standard of living is at least partly dependent on my current endeavours and not just on my pension accrued over the years.

Now for expenditure.  My big increases in costs have all been to do with my disability.  I employed a cleaner from late 2018 so that cost has really hit my purse in 2019.  In addition I have had to have major repairs to my mobility scooter.  I employ a gardener/handyman on a casual basis as well.  The car which I need for transporting my scooter is very expensive to run as it attracts a high rate of road tax as well as being expensive on fuel. 

Another increase in expenditure has been on eating out.  This is the centre of my social life as most weeks I will meet friends either for morning coffee or for lunch.  We all live in a rural area and it is easiest to meet in the market town when we go shopping.  However, I have been treating myself to breakfast out rather too often (once or twice a month) and That Will Not Do.  

Now for the good news.  I've managed to reduce my grocery bill by £16 per month even though I am now being much more conscious of healthy eating.  My petrol bill has reduced by £10 per month because I am planning my journeys better.  I've taken better control of my crafting stash and reduced my craft expenditure by £10 per month as well as reducing my spend on presents for birthdays, Christmas and so on as I have made things.  I've bought very few clothes other than undies and so spent only £145 in the year.  Every category has come under scrutiny and that will continue.

The most important thing is that I track everything.  My budgetting software enables me to do that whether I spend on my credit or debit card or whether I pay cash.  I've been doing this now for four years and I have very good information on which to base my decisions.  My unaccounted money is now around £8 per month which my old self would have found incredible!

1 comment:

  1. Tracking everything does give you a really good picture of where you are spending. I think you have done very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete