Wednesday 11 November 2020

The marrow part 4

 And now for something completely different.

So far I've done two versions of stuffed marrow, I've made a soup with marrow and I've had marrow roasted with meat.  All those are fairly predictable and commonly done with marrows and I wanted to try something completely different so I googled and found a recipe for hazelnut and maple syrup marrow.  That is something I would never have thought of in a month of Sundays so I decided that's what I would do with the final chunk of the monster.

I peeled, deseeded and chopped the marrow and put it in an oiled dish.  I covered it with foil and roasted it for forty minutes at 200C.  I then removed the foil and added a drizzle of maple syrup and topped the lot with a mixture of breadcrumbs and chopped hazel nuts before returning it to the oven for 15 minutes to brown the nut and breadcrumb  mixture.

I served it with a jacket potato and sour cream dip and really enjoyed it!  If I made it again I would probably have it with pork.

You may remember the soup which I made in part 2 of this project.  At that time I decided that it was too bland.  I reheated the remaining portion and added a little harissa paste (needs using up!). It was an improvement but not enough for marrow soup to enter my repertoire.  

So, the marrow is no more.  I've rather enjoyed doing this project though.  It is sometimes difficult to avoid waste when living alone because something which is large can become very boring.  I've made myself eat the lot without getting bored.  I shall try a similar project with a different sort of glut.  

2 comments:

  1. Well done, not sure I would had the resolve to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I just thought about the use of it in a curry, with extra portions froze. We use zucchini in our curry ,s o maybe next time you receive a large one?

    ReplyDelete