Monday 9 November 2020

The Marrow Part 3

 The comments about my marrow have been fascinating but rather than reply to each I’ve decided to write a little more about marrows. 

Anyone who has had to organise a Harvest Festival will be very familiar with Monster Marrows.  There are sometimes grown competitively and weights of over 200lbs have been recorded.   Botanically they are very close to courgettes (zucchini) but according to Auntie Beeb (the BBC)  “courgettes tend to be bushy and thin-skinned whereas marrows tend to trailing and have a thicker skin”.    According to me, marrows have less flavour and are more watery and the skin is very thick.  I’d eat the whole courgette but discard skin and seeds from marrow. 

Anyway, my not-too-monster marrow is disappearing.  Today’s offering was marrow stuffed with sausage meat, apple and onion.  I peeled it first, (unlike the minced beef stuffed one where I left the skin on for cooking but left the skin on the side of my plate when eating).  I'd cooked extra vegetables yesterday so I had them with my sausage stuffed marrow. 

There’s still a big chunk left but I won’t be cooking it for a couple of days as I have found an interesting recipe for which I need a few ingredients from Sainsbury - maybe I ran down my basics a little too much!  

4 comments:

  1. I don't really now what vitamins and nutrients are part of this vegetable, but you are maximizing the use for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need lots of things to add flavour to narrow. You've done well with the variety of meals you've cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zucchini here have thicker skin which I won't eat unless it is grated and used in baking. Mind you I do let my zucchini get pretty large. You really are getting the most from your marrow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an impressive use of the marrow.

    ReplyDelete