Saturday 7 November 2020

The Marrow part 1

The green one is the marrow!
 Readers of my other blog will know that I have been given a marrow.   I've never been given a small marrow but this one isn't one of those monster marrows which appear at Harvest Festivals.  It's quite a civilised size and I feel I can take on the challenge of eating it.  

Stuffed marrow, mashed potato, broad beans

I am a child of the fifties,  a time when austerity as still the order of the day.  Marrow was often cooked with the Sunday joint because it would take up the flavour and make that flavour last a bit longer.  Marrow itself is rather flavourless so something else needs to be added.  Some thrifty housewives make marrow and ginger jam but that won't be appearing on my table as I don't like ginger in sweet things.  I have made marrow chutney in the past but its not one of my favourites and I won't be making it this year.

Today I've had the first piece of the marrow.  I chopped a generous chunk off one end, scooped out the seeds and filled the cavity with a small portion of mince, onion, tomato and beef which I cook in bulk for various dishes.  I covered it with foil and cooked it for about an hour at 200C then removed the foil, topped it with grated cheese and returned it to the oven for ten minutes.  I served it with broad beans and mashed potatoes and it was rather nice.  

Now what will that be?

While that was cooking I started on the next chunk of marrow.  But that's a story for another day!

8 comments:

  1. We of course call them summer squash or zucchini in the US If I was gifted one, part would be in pasta and the rest in bread. Your meal looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have courgette (which I thought was your zucchini) which smaler than marrow and not so watery. I'd use courgette in bread or pasta but not marrow.

      Delete
    2. I think once a zucchini grows past a certain point it becomes what you all call marrow. I had to Google it.

      Delete
  2. I can my mum filling them with curried mince. Once cooked it was sliced and appeared on our dinner plates like filled rings. I quite liked it. I wouldn't ever water anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum always used beef mince in a marrow, not my favourite meal, but the mince went a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stuffed zucchini looks marvelous. I have prepared them this way as well. I know there is a marmalade you can make with them as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious and reminded me of my childhood, my dear Mum used to cook the very same meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look this up. Definitely, it is a zucchini to me. I love them. However, if a zucchini is over about 7 inches long, I won't eat it. I make a zucchini casserole that has cheese, tomatoes, buttered bread crumbs and it cooked in the oven. My children loved it.

    ReplyDelete