Saturday 25 July 2020

Two steps forward, one back

To be honest, I am one of those fortunate people for whom lock down has been a financial gain.  My spending has reduced in many categories (motoring, eating out, paid help) and I've been able to control my grocery expenditure as I have become accustomed to the new situation.  My income has dropped as I am no longer able to work at all but the fall in expenditure has more than compensated for that.  I'm not a "recreational" shopper and I think that retail therapy just results in headaches at 2am.

But I cannot believe how many of my appliances have died this year.  Back in January it was the freezer and just last month I had to replace my laptop.  I thought I was OK this month but on Thursday I acquired a large nail in a tyre which meant I had to acquire a new tyre.  Not as bad as a freezer or a laptop but still an appreciable sum.

Then Friday the fridge died.  I just can't believe it!  To be fair I have been having a few doubts about its efficiency but I didn't expect it to die.  

So today I shall have to contact my local electrical appliance supplier and spend some hard-saved money.  I've checked on line and I know what I want (basically the fridge to match the freezer I bought in January!) and they will deliver.  It's not really a problem but oh! I wish my finances didn't suffer so much!

And I know how fortunate I am that I can manage to buy a fridge and that buying a fridge is my only problem

13 comments:

  1. All those expenditures would devastate a lot of people. I am glad you can manage without being hurt financially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that many retired friends have been able to spend less, and are grateful they have a pension - whilst younger friends have been very anxious about job security and future income. But bills when they do come are so often large and unplanned (car repairs, dying appliances, etc) But thank the Lord that you have resources to replace the fridge, and more importantly, food to go in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And I've got a Sainsbury slot on Wednesday and will be able to get back to normal with no real worrying. I am indeed blessed.

      Delete
  3. Our problem is not the buying of the new it is the getting rid of the old, which at times can be quite the drama. Glad all is well with you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall pay to get it removed. Another expense but very worthwhile.

      Delete
  4. We are lucky in our village we have a scrap man who collects FOC every Monday, a perfect way to get rid of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because you tend to buy electrical goods in a cluster for example when you move etc They tend to break in succession. Fridges are quite reasonable these days. Hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the new fridge arrives Monday. I shall be happy when it has arrived.

      Delete
  6. Laptops have been a source of frustration for me-I'm borrowing my daughters, have been for over 6 months since mine died, but I fell guilty that I'm going to cause this to crash! She has a Macbook for school so rarely used this after she got that before college, but still, it is hers and she may take it back to school. I agree appliances tend to go out about the same time, and if possible, a part of the budget we all should try and stick money towards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, the Tigger, accidentally killed our fridge. I 'death-rayed' the microwave that sits on top of it because i hate my food being taken out of the freezer and microwaved unfrozen (it doesn't work - the food ends up being hot and cold together). A week after the microwave died, the fridge died too. So i clearly need to work on focussing my death-ray stare - a bit less shotgun and a bit more laser beam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Tigger! You've been bouncing too much! Hope the microwave and fridge situation has now been rectified.

    ReplyDelete