Sunday 26 July 2020

How to live like a millionaire on a retirement budget

I've been reading "How to live like a millionaire on a retirement budget: Priceless strategies for living as if money were no object" by Elizabeth Dunkel.   Many of the ideas in it will be very familiar to frugal bloggers but they bear repeating.

Her basic philosophy is that creative, stylish thinking, feeling and living is the way to celebrate a life in retirement.  Or to quote Coco Chanel, "There are people who have money and people who are rich".  Her hacks are not so much about money saving as about rethinking how to look at money and luxury.  Simple ideas like eating outdoors (or lighting a candle if indoors) to make a meal into occasion even if it is eaten alone.  Or a single flower in a slender vase.

I hate it when my environment reminds me that I am careful with money.  Actually I'm glad (and maybe a little proud) when I look at my accounts that I am careful with money but I don't want to feel cheapskate when I walk around my house.  So, as a contribution to luxurious stinginess I am offering just one idea.

Like many people I cut open tubes to make sure I get the last smidgen of a product out, even if the product was itself super value.  Some people just pop one end of the cut tube over the other and continue to use it but when I see a tube like that in my bathroom or on my dressing table it looks a little bleak.   Instead I save old face cream pots and when I've cut the bottom off a hand cream tube I scoop the remaining hand-cream into a de-labelled pot.  Hand-cream budget range from Wilko, face-cream budget range from Lidl (or maybe Aldi, can't remember which).  
Luxury method

Quick method


17 comments:

  1. Plus, the pot is secure. Tubes cut open can be messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! And with a user name like yours you would know!

      Delete
  2. I like you try and get everything out of containers, I also love candles lit, I buy tealights, which I freeze, they last all night and look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about freezing candles. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  3. This made me smile. I have just carefully peeled the label from a fancy hair conditioner bottle (which has a good valve dispenser lid) so it can be reused to dispense Lidl conditioner. Lidl's product comes in a mega sized bottle too big to stand in the shower caddy. The new system is efficient and looks classier. "Presentation" can definitely give a budget scheme some added style.
    Currently feeling a little frustrated with the DWP. I'm due to get my state pension next April. I know I need to pay NI top up contributions due to not having earned anything since January 2019. But because of the pandemic, they say they are unable to discuss this until I get to within 6 months of my 66th birthday. I've guessed the amount and set the money aside in an ISA. But I really would like to get it sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So to but in on Frugally challenged blog but do you look after grandchildren if so you can claim NI contributions for that. I do since retiring at 60 almost 4 years ago.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Angela, dispenser bottles are great to re-use. Spray bottles too. Somehow a moderate sized bottle does look classier. I hope you get DWP sorted - these things are so annoying.

      Delete
  4. I make time every now and again to make a cafetiere of coffee on a tray with a small jug of milk, cup and saucer, and a biscuit on a plate. A little bit of luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Grabbing a quick cuppa is OK much of the time but a little self pampering is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. 0 I like this mind set and need to adopt more of it. I really have been in the slums mood wise, but if I perke dup my living space, as I talk about repeatedly without doing much, that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you can manage that, Sam. I know you have been working from home which makes it essential to have home "perked up" if you are going to be in it most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh. DD has only one type of lotion she can use without causing problems. (Cerave) It's actually more of a cream, and not cheap. The bigger jars are more economical, but she hated them cluttering her vanity. She went through my canning jars, and found a wide mouth, quilted half pint jar with lid, and fills that. It looks so pretty on her (second hand) antique oak vanity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I like the little pot idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea, all I need to do now is find a nice jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days now my "eye is in" I find quite a few.

      Delete
  10. What a great idea. Must save my little pots.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete