Thursday 9 July 2020

Getting roped in

Last year I was approached by the Office for National Statistics to do a one-off survey.  I think they choose households at random so they can some idea of the "state of the nation".  At the end of the survey they asked if they could approach me again (they try not to over-burden the unwilling) and I said OK so throughout last year I did surveys on household finance.  Apart from a reusable cotton tote bag there was no reward but I was happy to help anyway.

Earlier this year I was asked if I would help with the corona virus survey which I mentioned on my other blog.   I'm really pleased to help with that one.  I was chosen in the light of the demographic information (gender, age, postcode, income etc) which they already had from my previous surveys.  This one is paid in vouchers for places like Tesco, Sainsbury or Amazon.  

I also get roped in for all sorts of things because I do surveys for commercial firms.  I get a free product and usually a financial reward as well.   I've tested soap powder, face cream, butter and other things over the years but at the moment I am testing an on-line fitness programme.  I'm really happy to help with this one because they are including help for disabled people.  (Sorry, I can't tell you the name.)  

I started on Monday although I did a questionnaire a while ago and I've got just four little habits to develop.  They've asked me to have a large helping of green vegetables, to do some simple stretches, to make sure I eat nothing during the two hours before bedtime and to walk half a mile on my treadmill each day.  There is no way that I could walk half a mile in one go but I keep nipping out to the garage and doing fifty or a hundred yards.  I get motivational texts several times a day.  

As far as I know there's no financial reward for this but if it makes me try just a little bit harder that is more than enough reward for getting roped in.  

5 comments:

  1. So often we need a prompt to get us going, and as you say it helps to your general well being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats brilliant, we could all do with doing a little more. I have a treadmill in the garage but thanks to Bertie I get out across the countryside to so my exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have to make slow changes to help my recent need for recovery. Do what you can, and it will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for trying. I am trying to get back to some form of exercise and have started to take a walk again. My reward is the stunning views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All a person can do is try. Slow and steady and you will have it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete