Thursday 1 August 2019

Oh dear!

It has to be said that budget-wise July was disastrous.  Instead of saving my hoped-for £400 I managed to set aside a mere £37.  There, that's the worst bit over with.

I had a trip to London to go to a garden party at Lambeth Palace.  The rail fare was about £100 (but that was paid in June), taxi fares came to £45, a new blouse £55, skirt £55 and sandals a further £55.  Add to that essential repairs to my laptop which were £140 and a replacement iron at £70 and maybe you can see why the budget was such a disaster.

I had a very whoopee moment when I discovered that my energy economies had paid off but sadly the very next day I got a letter telling me that my Civil Service Pension is to be reduced by almost the same amount.  Apparently I have been paid the wrong amount for quite a long time.  As it wasn't my fault I don't have to repay it but my pension will be reduced.  Shame about that as my retirement earnings have been slashed as well.


3 comments:

  1. What a dreadful mistake to make but in pleased you at least haven't got to pay it back. The trouble with pensions is we never really know what they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful that you do not have to pay back the overpayment.

    Sorry about the reduction though. There are only so many things a person can cut.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn. That reduction in retirement is certainly a disappointment. I find every time I find a way to save a dollar here then the price of something goes up a dollar there. What can we do? We need a little fun and we need to make frugal living a fun challenge, not a cross to bear.

    ReplyDelete