Friday 9 August 2019

August activities 6 Veering into the kitchen

Although most of my August Activities will be of the crafty variety I shall have the occasional foray into the kitchen and that's where I was yesterday.

When I went to Lidl  found three packs of six chicken drumsticks in the "Waste Not" section at 70p a pack.  At that price no way will they be wasted especially when I also found packs of button mushrooms at 20p a pack.   I bought shallots (full price) and found some red wine in the freezer.  I've now got five packs of chicken in red wine in the freezer.  If I were feeling posh I might have labelled them Coq au Vin but I wasn't feeling posh.  The remaining drumsticks were roasted to have with salad.

There was also Aberdeen Angus diced beef reduced so that was cooked, again with mushrooms and shallots but this time with stock and I've got three packs of braised beef in the freezer.

I was on a roll and found a pack of mince which I'd bought (reduced) a couple of weeks ago and frozen so I combined that with some Quorn which I had been given, a few chopped onions plus chopped mushrooms, grated carrots and some beef gravy also from the freezer.  Today I shall cook mashed potato and complete several cottage pies.

And while I was at Lidl I even found these roses in the reduced section.  Not a bad shopping trip, methinks.

5 comments:

  1. Great bargains well done. I regularly go through my fridge if I don't think I'm going to use something before it goes off then I chop it up and freeze it. These odds and ends really come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I rarely buy meat these days unless it's on offer - although the best deal we get here is 50% off.
    You will be eating well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful bargains. Great cooking spree in the kitchen.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy. Freezer meals are so very convenient aren't they?

    ReplyDelete