Friday 2 August 2019

August activities 2 Twiddlemuff

So here's my first no-longer-PhD.

Maybe you can't see what it is so I'll tell you.  It's a twiddlemuff.  And maybe that has left you none the wiser.

It's a double thickness hand muff with bits and bobs attached inside and out.  It's designed for people with dementia to have something to occupy their hands and maybe to keep them warm as well.

I've knitted mine using all sorts of bits and pieces of wool from my stash including two very fancy yarn leftovers from knitting scarves.  I found a couple of metal keys and some beads from my craft box and I attached those too and a few ribbons finished it off.  Everything must be firmly attached so it can't be pulled off easily.

This is mine before I turned half inside and stitched it up so you can see all the attachments. 

11 comments:

  1. Our local hosptial put a call out for these, I have never seen one, but I will get my knitting needles out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biggest doddle out! Really useful for oddments and for knitting whilst watching TV.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, it looks so soothing with so many elements to it for fiddling with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused-what is it used for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be given to a dementia patient. They often fiddle with things as they need something to occupy their hands. This is intended to keep their hands warm whilst they fiddle safely with the trimmings.

      Delete
  4. That is very interesting. I've never heard of them. I'll check out local clubs and see if there is anything like that going on around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems as though twiddlemuffs are well known in the UK but not elsewhere.

      Delete
  5. Love the muff. There is an organization in our capital city which gets together and makes these.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother twisted all the buttons off the front of their dresses, so they put them on backwards and buttoned her dress in the back. Maybe she would not have destroyed one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've known several people who are or who have suffered from dementia. I've never heard of such a thing. It seems like a fabulous idea. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete