Friday 8 March 2019

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory

I'm a great one for writing things down.  I record my energy usage on a daily basis. I check and note my weight and the number of steps I take.  And I write down every penny I spend.

Each day I check my bank and credit card accounts and count the money in my purse and work out what has disappeared since yesterday and where it went.  I know a lot of people don't record their spending to this degree but I have found it helpful.  Maybe there will come a day when I trust myself enough not to have to be so "accountable" either.  The only person I am accountable to is me!

Once a month I create an account of all that I have spent and what I have done.  To use fashionable language I have made myself much more mindful of where the pennies go

Before I retired I was far less obsessive about it but I realised that I would have to be more careful now that I have a reduced income.  The amazing thing is that I feel as if I have an increased income.  It feels as though I have more money than ever I had!  I go out for lunch several times a month, I have a few mini-breaks each year and yet I never have to worry and I can save for treats or the inevitable rainy days.

Flylady used to have the acronym FACE - Financial Awareness Continually Empowers - maybe she still does.  Knowing what I've got and where what I had went to has certainly empowered me.  And writing it all down makes it even more real. The faintest ink is truly more powerful than the strongest memory.

6 comments:

  1. We are in our 6th month of retirement and I am finding the same thing. Being much more mindful of where my money is going and how much we spend has made us seem like we have more disposable income. Very important. Even though we make about 25% of what we made while working. We paid off so much and adjusted our lifestyle in such a way, that the added freedom and peace of mind contributes to this feeling of security. We have realized quite a bit if savings, just in being more deliberate. Cooking, cleaning, doing our own maintenance and not paying for convenience. Looking back I realize that having more time has made me enjoy doing stuff for myself. Cooking fresh healthy meals, and not just grabbing immediate gratification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you say you now enjoy doing things for yourself. Isn't it amazing what pleasure one can get from putting a healthy meal, cooked from scratch, on the table - and that's even before you eat it!

      Enjoy retirement, it's a lovely time.

      Delete
  2. I love to watch the pennies, like you by being careful we can do a few bigger things. It is enpowering to live by your own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great title and totally true!!! Also, wonderfully encouraging. My pennies disappear like dew when I don't track them (and my dollars for that matter)
    Just hopped by blogger a sec to check in on you, warmest greetings
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you in Blogland, Rivulet! You've got quite a lot going on in your life, haven't you.

      Delete