Thursday 18 August 2016

Making the best of a disaster

I had a feeling of uncertainty each time I walked across the kitchen.  Something didn't feel quite right.  The vinyl flooring was lifting slightly.   Nothing major - or so I thought.

As I am planning on redecorating the kitchen this year I decided to ask the landlord to check.  So a chappie came.  You know the sort of chap.  Favourite phrase is "Tut, tut" uttered just after a rapid intake of breath.  Drives you crazy.

Unfortunately he couldn't even manage a "Tut, tut".  The kitchen floor will have to be replaced.  I am not looking forward to it.  Emptying a kitchen so that all the floor standing cupboards can be taken out is not a prospect which fills me with glee.  The thought of all that mess doesn't make me happy.

I don't know when all this joy will be visited on me.  The surveyor has to come and this will not be a cheap job so the landlord will need a budget.  Oh dear.

So, I have decided that one sensible thing would be to eat down my food stores to minimise the stuff which will have to be stored whilst the kitchen is out of commission.  Ah well, that should benefit the budget.  

And as the contractor will have to make good I won't have to pay someone to decorate the kitchen myself!  

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what an ordeal. I suppose after all is said and done you'll have a very new feeling kitchen at no cost to you :) That's fun (after all the worked has cleared anyhow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrible. I'm having the same kind of problem with my bedroom; my neighbour upstairs had trouble in her bathroom, which leaked into my flat and my room will have to be redecorated. At first I thought that was great as I won't have to pay anything but now the idea of moving all my stuff somewhere else really bothers me. Bon courage ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nightmare. But good to be positive you can have a good clear out and a bit of a re vamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you get any say in the new tile? That would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I just know it has to be done. The surveyor will have to come and sort the details and will doubtless tell me the whys and wherefores. I think I do have some "say" though. This is not going to be pleasant but I am determined to make it as positive an experience as I can.

      Delete
  5. I don't like having to paint or replace flooring. We are looking to do both. It isn't something I am looking forward to for sure. I am sure you will be happy with the outcome but the process won't be much fun but maybe not as bad as you think. Maybe this is a good time for a clean out! Yes, that doesn't sound good to me, either. Bother.

    ReplyDelete