Monday 20 June 2016

No pheasant will get the better of me

It was all the fault of a pheasant.  Pheasants exemplify the phrase "bird brain" as far as I am concerned.  This one made its latest suicide bid between Tesco and home on Saturday evening and I did an emergency stop to be proud of.  Unfortunately I could not be so proud of how I had packed my shopping and I broke three eggs.  

The eggs stayed (more or less) in their shells but they had to be used fairly soon.  I'd noticed earlier in the week that bread crumbs were making their bid for world (or at least freezer) domination so the solution to both problems seemed to be bread pudding.  It's got to be over twenty years since I made one but I just flung things into a mixing bowl.  Breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, muscovado, spices all went in but I decided to add dried apricots instead of raisins or sultanas.  

It was wonderful!  The apricots gave it just a nice degree of tanginess.  I've cut it into sixteen pieces so there will be scrumminess in the freezer for quite a while.  
I might even forgive the pheasant.

14 comments:

  1. Great plan and far better than scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread pudding-devine. Did you make a sauce for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby's favourite dish along with egg custard tart. So there I always baking solution for broken eggs in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had bread pudding, it's just one of those things which has never appealed, I think because you don't associate bread with something sweet. I hear so many people say how delicious it is though, I really must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a bit like you, Jo. It's one of those things which didn't feature in my childhood and which didn't didn't sound all that good - pure stodge! The apricots made it much more tasty.

      Delete
  5. Darn shame you couldn't take the pheasant home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The addition of apricots makes it sound very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love bread pudding! I have never made it though,when I get it I am usually in a restaurant. Hmm...I could use some right about now, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it on a restaurant menu. It's definitely home cooked nosh around here! I have occasionally seen it in bread or cake shops which are "artisan" and over-priced though.

      Delete
  8. Bread and butter pudding in a resturant is nothing like the real thing!! Did anyone else have bread and milk for breakfast before they invented cereals???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have that particular delicacy, Mandy, but most of the bread pudding has gone down the hatch for breakfast. I've enjoyed it so much that breadcrumbs are soaking right now. This time I'm trying figs and dates as my dried fruit.

      Delete