Tuesday 18 August 2015

MOOCs

I love MOOCs!  Well, bully for me!

MOOCs are Massive Open Online Courses.  The ones I do are all free and each takes about a month to complete.  The first I did was called Managing My Money and it was about basic personal finance from creating a household budget to looking at the Chancellor of the Exchequer doing the same thing on a much larger scale.  Since then I have studied a couple of Shakespeare's plays, Kitchen Chemistry and Understanding Numbers for Science.  

This week I have started Nutrition and Well-being.  It's organised by the University of Aberdeen.  It's entirely on-line and there is no written work to submit but there is a very active on-line discussion board.  There are activities to complete and videos to watch.  There's no exam and no qualification, just the sheer joy of learning something new.

Since I left school forty five years ago most of my learning has been directed towards career goals and I see these courses as a chance to re-explore things which I abandoned all those years ago.  

I want to keep my brain going!  I love crosswords (and I'm just learning to do cryptics) and sudoku.  I enjoy writing for my two blogs. .  MOOCss are another way of doing this.  So I'm off now to look at a few macronutrients.  See you later

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I'd never heard of it. I'd love to see what is available and have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that these courses existed... thank you for posting about them! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if these courses exist here? Well, I think it is wonderful -- learning and the opportunity to learn are blessings indeed.

    ReplyDelete