Tuesday 19 November 2019

Changes

I've been making changes to my normal shopping and eating habits but today, somehow, those changes have bitten a little deeper.

The first thing was in the bread which I've just mixed.  Usually I would use 75% wholemeal and 25% strong white flour but today I've reversed the proportions as the wholemeal is getting a little low.  I could buy some more but I'm going to try and last out.  There's plenty of white flour as I bought some a couple of weeks ago.

Then I made my salad for the day and I had no red onions, my usual favourite in salad.  Instead I chopped a shallot.

I usually eat sardines as a cheap form of oily fish but there's just one tin left.  Olive oil is being replaced with rapeseed .  I've long used it for cooking but not for dressings.  I shall revert to olive oil next month I think but rapeseed tastes better than I thought it would.

I fancied grapes and Stilton for breakfast but there's no Stilton so I've got grated Cheddar.  I want to make the grapes last so I've got a small portion of grapes and some celery as well.  I'm a shocker for nibbling cheese so I grated all the Cheddar in the food processor, again to make it last longer.

None of these substitutions (except the oil) is much cheaper but it's making me look at what I've got and use it better.  

3 comments:

  1. Olive oil is much tastier, I quite agree.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, a great lesson for most people. Adapting is a much needed quality when you wish to pursue a simple, frugal lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make the grapes last, too! I sub things all the time. I have moved away from rapeseed (canola) oil.

    ReplyDelete