Wednesday 24 November 2021

Am I crazy?

 Don't answer that!  It's just that I fancy a mini challenge about food purchases in the run-up to Christmas.  


Let me set the scene for you.  As always I will spend Christmas alone after I come back from church.  This is my choice: I always have lots of invitations.  I always cook a special lunch for myself although that is often not on Christmas Day.  This year I've bought a frozen three-bird-roast. I've made the pudding when I made lots of other puddings as Christmas presents.  I just need to buy things like cream, vegetables and the treats which I enjoy at Christmas.  

At this time of the year the shops are full of very tempting treats and, like Oscar Wilde, I can resist anything other than temptation.  I have a fridge full of food and I want to make sure I waste very little of it which is what would happen if I spent a lot of time in a supermarket or on its website.  

So, I am allowing myself just £20 for food between now and 22nd December when I have a delivery slot booked.  I'll be very honest about how I get on!  The only exception I will make is for purchases for the food bank.

Today I am going to clean the fridge to make sure nothing is lurking which needs to be eaten soon.

6 comments:

  1. It is so easy to miss something in the fridge, I am always shifting items and changing menus, good luck with your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're eating out of the freezer at the moment, it's amazing what we put in there and forget about, but I want the room for leftovers at Christmas. Waste not want not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an excellent challenge! Good plan on the fridge .. catch the lurkers before they spoil! A good reminder for me .. I think I shall do a fridge clean as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all could learn to use and appreciate the gifts we already have before refilling our resources. I can understand how a day of rest and reflection on Christmas Day can be good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same. I will be shopping this week and then again in two weeks. Hopefully I don't run out of anything what with the sons being home....If I do (probably milk and soft drinks) it will be a quick in and out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have turned down invitations for Christmas, too. i like to have specials items of food for a celebration.

    ReplyDelete