Tuesday 1 September 2020

Rejoicing

On the face of it, it seems crazy to call this month's review of my finances, "Rejoicing".  Once again I have spent far more than my income.  Once again something broke down and had to be replaced - this time my iPhone.  Once again I have overspent on food.  I brought forward my planned car service from December to August because if I have to sit and wait for my car to be ready I'd rather sit outside in August. Once again I have far less money at the end of the month than I had at the beginning.

But the point is that although most of those things could be called "unplanned expenditure" the truth is that it is all expenditure which I have planned for - what a wonderful example of gobbledygook!  The point is that I didn't plan for my mobile phone to break down any more than I planned for the laptop to die in June or the fridge to develop a terminal illness in July but, sure as eggs is eggs, things will break down and Murphy's Law says that they will do so at the most inconvenient time.  I know that my car will have to be serviced, so each month a little is set aside for the purpose - in fact I had set aside enough in eight months because there was no extra work to be done but I had saved extra in case of extra work.  I could even take the opportunity to buy extra meat when that opportunity arose. 

So I can rejoice.  Money is not just to be saved but to be used wisely.  In months when I have had less demands on my purse I've set some aside so now I can rejoice.

But I can still hope that September doesn't hold too many nasty surprises!

5 comments:

  1. I think the goal to use our money wisely is admirable, and saves the stress when something untimely occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving a bit each month is much easier than having to pay out an amount that is not in the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Money used wisely...I must remember that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do much the same and try to save each month to cover any unexpected expenditure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always beven a frugal person. It is a way of life. The thing that many people never quite seem to understand is that frugal does not mean deprivation. It seems that you have discovered that for yourself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete