Saturday 12 September 2020

Doing some sums

 I have quite a lot of leisure time at the moment so I decided to try a mini experiment.

I bought a one kilo pack of chicken thighs from Sainsbury.  I think thighs are really good value.  Actually, without the tray they weighed 1150 grammes so I was ahead by 150 grammes before I started!

I then boned them and resulting the flesh and skin weighed 1040 grammes.

Then I removed the skin and fat and weighed the meat.  850 grammes.  They had cost me £1.95.  That means that skinless, boneless chicken fillets had cost me £2.30 per kilo.

I checked the Sainsbury site.  They sell chicken thigh fillets at £5.31 per kilo.  More than double!

And I got a small pan of stock as well.  

8 comments:

  1. It's not rocket science, I love thigh meat, hubby not keen on meat with bones in, we use more thighs in winter as we pop into slow cooker and the bones dropout of the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if I'm doing a casserole I cook with the bone in - I think the meat looks and tastes better. I wanted to do mini roasts (a sausage wrapped in chicken and then in bacon) and I thought the sums would be interesting, They were! The differential was even bigger than I had thought.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a mini roast. What a great difference in the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I always knew that there was a difference but I was shocked at how big the difference is. I could only find that at by actually doing the boning and doing the sums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how much the markup is on food that somebody else fiddles with, like pre-sliced veg and fruit and, as you illustrate, meat. We can save lots of money by doing the work ourselves! And it isn’t that much work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do buy thighs sometimes but usually whole birds. I bone them out and make stock with the carcase. I bone the thighs out but leave the skin on for roasting, they roll nocely round a little stuffing mix. I slash the drumsticks to the bone and rub ina little garlic and thyme infused oil, homemade, and they roast alongside potatoes in their skins or go on the barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job. I think you had great savings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've saved a lot of money with your patience and hard work, that's what my lovely Dh does too.. I'm afraid I'd have just cooked them as they were.

    ReplyDelete