Friday 26 July 2019

A Whoopee Moment

I've just had my six monthly statement from my energy supplier and they've reduced my direct debit by £28 per month!  Definitely a whoopee moment!

When my last statement came I was £90 in debit.  This was mostly pre-Smart meter but over the last six months I've really kept an eye on those figures and I am now £40 in credit.  Next month I shall be doing my annual comparison to make sure I am on the best deal I can find.

I've achieved savings by various means.

I reduced the time the heating was on each day during the winter.  I usually get up around five o'clock but I stayed in bed a while longer.  I set the timer to switch off earlier in the evening too and enjoyed curling up in a blanket and a shawl.  

In the summer I switched off the boiler most of the time.  My shower runs off the hot water system so I need to have it on occasionally but I found that half an hour every other day gave enough hot water for me.  My tank has good built in insulation but I also put the winter duvets around it - I don't know if that helped but it certainly won't have done any harm.  

I used my air fryer as a mini oven as often as I could.  It uses less electricity than even my small top oven.

Although a near fall has made me abandon outdoor clothes drying I haven't used this as an excuse for using the tumble dryer.  I set up a clothes airer in my conservatory which is very well ventilated, not to say draughty, and dried almost everything on that.  I am hoping to set up a clothes line in the garage this winter.  

My energy bill is always likely to be fairly high - I need to charge my mobility scooter most days, I have no gas fire to keep me cosy - but I'm certain that pounds are better in my pocket than in the energy company's bank account.  

6 comments:

  1. Well done you. Far better in your pocket than theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great saving, well done. You are wise to check the tariff you are on as you get nothing for being loyal these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great turnaround. Nice work! We also keep a close eye on our energy usage. One of my favorite parts of installing solar is that I can see hourly usage that's not available from our energy provider. Our solar provider has a lot of great information available on their website, which I love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! And well earned too because it sounds like you've worked really hard at getting the energy use and cost down. Whooopee for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on lowering that bill. Keep up the good work.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent results. We watch and learn and save where we can. I've been allowing myself more electrical use with the a/c this month because it has been so darn hot. I know I'll be sorry when the bill comes next month but sometimes you consider the reward against the cost and then go with you gut.

    ReplyDelete