Saturday 4 May 2019

Auditing April

Each month I do a review of various things including what I've written about on my blogs, how active I've been, special days out and, of course, how the finances are panning out.

Well, first of all the good news.  I have again smashed my target of living below my means by £400.  I've been doing a little paid work recently and I sold over £50 worth of stuff on eBay so that has helped.  

Then there's the rest.  Groceries were £127 which is way over my target of £100 but I honestly don't think £100 is enough so I've revised my target this month to £120.  I don't want to live on lentils: cooking and eating good food is pure pleasure. 
Not so good was my motoring budget.  I did 945 miles in the month.  I've been doing sick visiting, bereavement visiting and marriage preparation interviews but I really can't see why I have done so much motoring.  I have now Taken Myself In Hand.  

I've been watching the Smart meter monitor doing its thing in the kitchen.  I've fiddled with the timer on the boiler (I may do a post about that soon) and I'm whittling away at my gas consumption.  As yet this has had no impact on my day-to-day finances as I pay by monthly direct debit and I haven't fully paid for my winter usage.  


5 comments:

  1. Food just gets more expensive doesn't it. You sure were busy with all that driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what SAM said. Food does keep getting more expensive. I like your thought though, just "living off lentils" as you put it when you do have the means to eat more enjoyably... food should contribute to some of the joy in life. I'm certain the good Lord intended it to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed you here from Angela's and glad I did. I'm joining the ranks of the great retirees and will hopefully pick up a few tips from you. I can't eat lentils anymore and agree with what you say about cooking and eating being pleasurable. Fortunately, I can make things from scratch but have been known to get a bit carried away when in M&S. Their yellow stickers are like a beacon to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps I have a large radiator in the kitchen and have recently switched it off completely and found it made quite a significant difference on the Smart Meter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rising costs of food seem to have hit us all lately. Same with the rising cost of gasoline here in Canada.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete