Monday 1 April 2019

Sometimes I surprise myself

Sometimes I surprise myself and March was one of those times.  Despite having to have a lot of paid help, despite having my trundle truck repaired and despite paying for wood for a new fence and new gate, I still smashed my target of saving £400 and managed to save £500.  This was helped by it being a "free" month for Council Tax (I pay over ten months rather than twelve).  My hope is that I will save £5000 this year.

I've kept my grocery budget below £100.  Only 8p below but still below.  I have a lot of food in my stores in case of a Brexit disaster and I don't want to run those stores down too much yet, but I needed to do a bit of rationalising and that has helped.  As have getting the cheap vegetables from Lidl and the free stuff from my neighbours.  I've also reduced my motoring.  And I've tracked all my expenditure - no "Money-gone-walkabout" during March.

So, a new challenge for April.  This month I want to make a little money rather than just restrict my budget (although I am still working at £400 saved each month) and with that in mind and also my aim of decluttering, I want to make £100 by selling unwanted stuff.

7 comments:

  1. Love that phrase-:money gone walk about". I'd love to really know where all the pennies and dollars go. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's aken me years of quite elaborate recording but I think I now know where the money goes. Sometimes I wish I didn't know!

      Delete
  2. Good luck on selling unwanted items. I am sure you will be able to make it happen.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started listing but it is a very slow and tedious job.

      Delete
  3. I put 19 craft items on EBAY last week and succeeded in selling 14 of them, so despite accepting very low prices I now have the satisfaction of knowing they went where they were needed and I have a little more space! We do collect a lot of "stuff" don't we, why do I need a wardrobe full of clothes when I don't work any more??? Is it because they cost a lot of money (altogether) and I am reluctant to see them shredded into rags...but why am I keeping them?
    I too, keep a daily record of what I spend and sometimes it exceeds the budget, but today I had a smart meter fitted so I am going to turn over a new leaf and turn the heating down!
    Intrigued to know what you are saving up for!! Take care. Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The saving is being done because I need to get some more money back into my reserves. My early years of retirement were financially difficult because not all my pensions were payable and I dipped into my savings A LOT. At the moment if I am careful I can save and I want to feel secure as I get older and am unable to work at all.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your selling! Sounds like you are doing really good with your savings.

    ReplyDelete