Thursday 16 September 2021

Value for money!

 I had to do some small jobs in Brigg yesterday so I nipped into Lidl and got a "Waste Not" vegetable box for £1.50.  Our local store has now changed where they display them (for some unknown reason they used to be after the check-outs!) and they make them available at more times of the day so I'm finding it easier to buy them.


And what fantastic value they are!  Look at this box!  There's celery, two bunches spring onions, cherry tomatoes, big tomatoes, carrots, plums, potatoes, onion, Padron peppers, sweet peppers and corn.  There were also five bananas and I can't imagine where they went,  

What surprises me is how few people bother to look at the boxes, despite the store making it easier.  I was in the store for about twenty minutes and my box was the first thing I chose and the other two boxes which were there when I went in were still available when I left.  True, this isn't the freshest or prettiest produce but there is nothing in that box which is unusable and there is plenty to enrich my diet.

9 comments:

  1. What a good deal! I would be there to buy a box, maybe two. I always look in the buggy/cart in the aisle in one store where they mark down produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These boxes are a great idea, we use them more in the winter months, our local veg shop has a box of reduced fruit and veg, always at a great price, there you just pick what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That produce looks just fine to me. Boy that was a great deal for you. Glad you can purchase the boxes so inexpensively.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our French Lidl they are still beyond the checkout, and usually are bizarrely made up of ONE thing. However much I like banana bread a box full of bunches of brown bananas is not very appealing. Nor is a box of twenty baguetes from yesterday. If they were more mixed boxes like yours I would be tempted....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bargain, sadly we do not have a Lidl here otherwise I would be buying them when available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great looking haul. We have a similar thing here called The Odd Bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great bargain and the produce looks fine to eat. I always look in the boxes in my local Lidl but have never bought one as the fruit and veg always looks well past its best and bashed about. As you say, ours are past the checkouts too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a few of these and they are brilliant!! Such good value! I love them as no plastic and such a good selection!

    ReplyDelete