Wednesday 11 March 2020

Pop-up shop

I have many times bemoaned the closure of local businesses.  Caistor is down to one pub, a co-op and a butcher's van in the market place once a week.  Really I have to go to Brigg to do any sensible shopping and that must be true for so many large villages/small towns everywhere.  Butchers, bakers, cobblers greengrocers - they all moved out.


But sometimes there is a ray of sunshine!  We've had one in the Methodist church rooms the first Saturday each month for the past few months.  It's a pop up shop, selling loose items like pasta, lentils and breakfast cereal.


I went this last Saturday and bought dried bananas, dried apples, pasta, a cabbage, shampoo and conditioner.  The shop has no bottles or bags - you have to take your own.  Originally I bought kefir in these two bottles but they are quite substantial and I was happy to to take them along to use for my toiletries.  It's not cheaper than standard products but I feel I am contributing to a minimal plastic environment.

There's also a repair cafe going on at the same time.  Bikes and guitars, clothes and computers were all being attended to while I was there.  I also had a tomato and lentil soup with a home made bread bun while I was chatting to a repair cafe volunteer who was repairing a soft toy which had been loved too much.  There was no charge for the soup and no charge for repairs, just a request for a donation

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! We are having the same type of problem here in my small city. Stores are closing as people travel to larger centers to do their shopping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a repair shop to rewire a lamp. Wish there were a popup shop to do that. And, I am in a large city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, would love this in our village.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great. We have to be well organised to take our bottles and things to be refilled when we're out and about as we have nothing like that here. I love the idea of a repair cafe too.

    ReplyDelete